Tuesday, January 1, 2008

BUT WAIT, THERE'S "MORE"!

I revisited the Home Depot YouTube contest page to see if anything might have been posted since last I checked. There were no discussion groups, but this graph caught my eye.



I don't recall the text that Home Depot purposefully posted in bold being part of the original feedback instructions, and the emphasis seemed unusually over-explanatory. I'll have to do some more research on historical versions of the site. Why take the time to add "more than one week after the contest ends"? Wouldn't someone typically say "Discussion Forums will be closed on 12/26/07" and leave it at that? It feels a bit like Home Depot felt the need to go the extra mile and justify their decision to shut down all the message boards. Is this another "after-the-fact" explanation as to their actions, similar to their "after-the-contest" explanation that they will allow their chosen video to re-edit to meet contest rules? My guess is that they couldn't take the heat from the posts that were questioning the contest's outcome. What do you think? I want to be proven wrong, so if you have any information contradicting this, please let me know, and I'll post an update.